Does Hypnotherapy Work for Weight Loss?
04 June 2021
This is one of our most frequently asked questions, and the answer is unequivocally, YES.
Recently, I wrote to GP’s who run clinics, to share with them the findings of a controlled clinical weight loss trial.
In summary, “At 18 months only the hypnotherapy group still showed a significant (P < 0.02) mean weight loss compared to baseline. Analysed over the whole time period the hypnotherapy group with stress reduction achieved significantly more weight loss than the other two treatment arms. This controlled trial on the use of hypnotherapy, as an adjunct to dietary advice in producing weight loss, has produced a statistically significant result in favour of hypnotherapy.”*
These findings have been mirrored so far in our own hypnotherapy clinic, with every client who has attended, having lost weight. Male and female, aged between 21 and 65, all having various occupations and lifestyles. Some of them have weight related diabetes, cardiovascular, fertility, conception and pregnancy concerns. Many of them also have some form of anxiety.
Eating is linked to triggers and emotional responses. We have also learned to overeat, undereat, eat badly, or comfort ourselves with food. We are exposed to imagery, such as a romcom showing comfort eating after a breakup, or a detective decompressing in a bar with whisky; these subconsciously reinforce our thinking and responses to certain stimuli.
As a child, if you hurt yourself, did you get a sweet reward to make you feel better? Were you ever told to eat everything on your plate before you could go out and play? Were you ever made to feel guilty wasting food? Over time, these behaviours become habitual imprints, and form the basis of our relationship with food.
How does hypnotherapy work for weight loss?
Hypnotherapy allows us to change your relationship with food. We do this in a number of ways depending on your circumstances.
- We understand your behaviours and create conscious and subconscious interventions.
- If you are anxious or stressed, we treat that.
- If you are fussy, or have issues with food textures, we support you changing this.
- If you eat too much chocolate or biscuits, we reduce the cravings or can completely put you off them if you decide you never want them again.
- We create subconscious awareness of the concepts of eating only what you need to fuel your body using the right types of fuel.
- We use positive subconscious suggestions to reinforce the benefits of achieving your goal, which creates very powerful motivations.
- Where appropriate, we also offer gastric band hypnotherapy to reduce consumption and feel full sooner.
Every client who has joined a programme has lost weight. To date, every client I have followed up with, has kept it off.
By changing your relationship with food, encouraging good nutrition and reinforcing this subconsciously…does hypnotherapy really work for weight loss? I am not surprised the clinical trials prove it works, are you?
How much does weight loss hypnotherapy cost?
Well, if you look at my fees page, you will see it costs much less than you think, and much less than the cost of fancy diet shakes, plans, tablets, potions and similar in the long term. Best of all, when you truly embrace the nutritional benefits of a sustainable healthy diet, you save money on those convenience foods you no longer want to eat. See you soon in clinic or online and remember, you get a free discovery call to ask as many questions as you want before you sign up, to ensure weight loss hypnotherapy is right for you.
* Stradling J, Roberts D, Wilson A, Lovelock F. Controlled trial of hypnotherapy for weight loss . Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998 Mar;22(3):278-81. doi: 10.1038/sj.ijo.0800578. PMID: 9539198.
- Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy As An Aid To Weight Loss
- Hypnotherapy For Weight Management
- Hypnotherapy For Phobias
- The Benefits Of Hypnotherapy
- Can Hypnotherapy Help With Anxiety?
Back to Blog